The drawing shows a view up the Grand Canal from a point roughly in the middle of the opening into the Bacino di San Marco, focussing on the buildings between the Calle del Traghetto and Rio dele Ostreghe. The buildings are, from right to left: the Palazzo Contarini, with two upper storeys of ogee-arched windows and balconies; the Palazzo Contarini-Fasan, with two upper storeys of ogee arches and very ornate balconies; the Palazzo Manolesso-Ferro, with three upper storeys of round-arched windows; and the Palazzo Flangini-Fini, with two storeys of round-arched windows and an attic storey, and the Rio dele Ostreghe opening into the Grand Canal just beyond it. The Palazzo Pisani-Gritti can just be seen beyond the Rio. One end of a boat, and a small buoy, appear in the bottom left corner, and a gondola just off the Palazzo Flangini-Fini behind them.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
drawing: graphite, watercolour and bodycolour, with some scratching out, on grey paper